Position: Area Manager – Somali Speaker
Responsible to: – Operations Manager
Location: Dadaab refugee camp (1 – Ifo,1 – Dagahaley and Hagadera)
Closing date:- 30th December 2011
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international Humanitarian organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster.
Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is present in Dadaab refugee camps since 2007 through its development department.
In response to the recent and massive influx of refugees, Handicap International’s Emergency Response Department has launched in August 2011 a holistic approach called Disability and Vulnerability Focal Point (DVFP) to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable newly arrived refugees.
The strategy of these DVFPs is to identify most vulnerable persons and enhance their access to essential basic and specific services through different mechanisms as well as through direct services’ provision.
After a period of suspension due to the degradation of the security context, we are now resuming our emergency activities with new modalities.
Global Objective of the Position
The main objective of the Area Manager position under the supervision of the Operations Manager is to ensure good and efficient coordination between the different teams of one Area (4 teams, with 30 to 40 team members per area);
- To ensure the quality of the different teams’ work in one area by supervising and supporting the different team leaders in their work
- To represent Handicap International’s Emergency DVFP Project at the Camps Level (coordination meetings, coordination with other stakeholders, etc…)
- To ensure that the project’s objectives and timeframe are maintained and fulfilled in one Area
- To assist the Operations Manager by ensuring efficient coordination of activities in one Area
- To ensure good field coordination between the different field teams of one Area (efficient organization, efficient internal referral system, coordination of the different teams and team members for an efficient holistic approach of the assistance provided, etc…)
- To supervise and support the different team leaders in their daily work and ensure the quality of the activities put in place at an Area level (identify strengths and weaknesses of the different team leaders, propose solutions for improvements, etc…).
- To ensure that the different team leaders are fulfilling their responsibilities and goals by doing regular field monitoring visits if security allows it or participating in putting in place remote control monitoring mechanisms.
- To continuously analyze the situation of his Area of intervention (refugee populations needs’ assessment, update on existing services and their functioning, community information, etc…); provide regular reports to the Operations Manager and participate in the dissemination of updates on the situation to the different teams of his area of responsibility
- To coordinate the referral system in his Area of intervention with the different stakeholders, to promote operational ‘’partnerships’’ with the different stakeholders in order to improve the referral system, to verify, complete and update information needed for our mapping of services, to provide regular updates to the different field teams on existing services and referral system,
- To represent Handicap International’s Emergency Team at the camp level according to the Operations Manager requirements
- To demonstrate an ethic and professional practice
- To demonstrate willingness to improve professional competences and abilities to increase care quality.
- To participate in the regular team meeting, workshops and to participate in the implementation of trainings
- To report to the Operations Manager on activities and challenges faced and to participate in the reflexion to improve our practices and project strategy
- To contribute to the promotion of Handicap International’s Policies (PSEA, Child Protection Policies) amongst the teams under his/her coordination and to ensure that reporting and response mechanisms are known and understood by the different teams in his Area, to report any incident and/or non respect of HI’s Policies to the Operations Manager or to another defined focal point
- To ensure the respect of security rules in his Area
- Somali required (both oral and written) and English (good writing skills)
- University degree in Project Management, Social sciences, Management or related fields
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar position (preferably in an INGO / association)
- Experience in Project Management
- Significant and proven experience in management and coordination
- Strong organizational skills / Capacity to prioritize
- Strong analysis capacities and reporting skills
- Strong Management skills / Good communication and listening skills
- Common sense
- Adaptation to specific working conditions and to numerous security constraints
- Capacity to work in an multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Dynamism, high level of motivation
- Interest for social work and field work
- Willingness to learn new skills and/or approaches
- Good capacity to interact with members of the team and community
If you feel you are the right candidate for this position, kindly send your application along with an up-to-date CV indicating your salary history and 3 referees with their current contacts by email to :- email@example.com
The email subject line should be marked: “Application for Area Manager Position”
Only short listed candidates with the above qualifications and skills will be contacted.